Kawartha Settlers' Village
• 85 Dunn St. • Bobcaygeon, ON
Show Starts: 12:00PM
| End Time: 4:00PM
| All Ages
Featuring: Starting Your Cut Flower Garden From Seed, Queen Bee Flower Farm,
Tickets may still be available at the event, other ticket outlets, or the box office.
Event type: All Ages
Starting Your Cut Flower Garden From Seed
4 hour workshop at Kawartha Settlers' Village
Do you love flowers? Have you always wanted to try growing from seed? Do you have a special event coming up this year like a wedding, and want to grow your own flowers? Want to have lots of flowers this summer, but don't want to spend a fortune at the greenhouse?
In this workshop, you'll learn how to plan and grow your flowers from seed - a far more economical way to grow in abundance! It is incredibly rewarding and opens up a world of possibilities for growing, creating, and experimenting every year. Growing from seed is accessible, fun, and a very satisfying hobby!
In this workshop, we'll cover:
- Types of annuals that can be grown from seeds, tubers and corms.
- How to select which flowers to grow.
- Review some of the "work-horse" annuals that are both beautiful and easy to grow.
- Learn about succession planting so you'll never be out of flowers during harvest season.
- Learn correct plant spacing for different species of flower.
- Review equipment and needs for growing healthy seedlings.
- How to troubleshoot common problems in seed starting.
- Hands-on practice sowing snapdragon seeds and preparing a tray ready to take home.
- Learn sustainable, earth-friendly ways to combat weeds and harmful pests.
- Answer your burning questions about growing.
This course includes a PDF workshop guide, soil tray, soil, snapdragon seeds, and some light refreshments.
It is recommended that workshop participants bring a tablet or laptop to access their PDF guide during class. It would also be beneficial to have access to the Google Suite (sheets and calendar) to learn how to record and plan out seed starting. Participants may wish to wear an apron and have rubber gloves on hand for the seed-starting portion of the class.
The price for this workshop is $160 per person, limit of 12 participants. Sign up deadline is no later than one week prior to the start date.
A portion of the class proceeds will be donated to KSV.
About your instructor: Barbara Rowlandson is the principle grower at Queen Bee Flower Farm in Coboconk, ON. Barbara is an experienced flower grower and designer whose focus is growing for the cut flower industry. Barbara has a particular passion for growing annuals, as they are productive, colourful, make excellent cut flowers, and provide much needed shelter and sustenance for bees and butterflies. Barbara is a graduate of the esteemed Floret Flower Farming course.
Cutoff is Saturday, February 25, 2023 4:59 pm EST unless it sells out earlier.